Fix it? Is it broken?
If you have checked my work at Brazen Cycleworks you know that classic rides around these parts are rarely spared from the fixed gear conversion center. Well last week I picked up a bike that stopped me in my conversion tracks. It is a 1987 Club Fuji and it was a 61cm, my size. It is scary original, minus the pedals and toe clips, bar plugs. Even the tires are original. Something about the bike reminded me of my cycling roots and would have been a nice first race bike for me as an up and coming racer. I cleaned it up and set it up with my pedals and took a long ride back in time.
Interesting features of the bike had: Aero brake levers, 32 hole rims, 12 speed drivetrain, oval spokes, 19c tires, Nitto bar and stem, oversized quad butted tig and lugged construction.
Modern bike features not included: 1 1/8" steerer, threadless stem, brifters, Outboard BB bearings, 20 or 22 speed drivetrains, dual pivot brakes, carbon fiber everything, ergo handlebars and channelled seats.

Funny thing is the only thing I really missed while enjoying this bike in it's near original state was a wider brake hoods and softer bar wrap. So am I a now a crummudgeon or old school or just nostalgic?

And yes, it is wicked fast for a 22 year old.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PB&J: Pain Brings Joy